Skip to content

Bufo Toad Toxicity

BOLO…Be on the look out!!! The Bufo Toad also know as the marine toad, giant toad and cane toad. They are brownish to grayish-brown with a creamy yellow belly. They do not have any ridges or knobs on their head and have a deeply pitted parotoid glands on their side extending down their back. When confronted by a predator these glands areable to shoot a toxin for them in the form of a white venom. The secretions are highly toxic to dogs, cats and other animals. It can cause skin irritations of humans. Fortunately toad venom toxicity is rare in cats. Bufo toads are seen mostly during the rainy season late May mid October, but not limited too. They are most active early mornings and evenings. Don’t let your guard down we see cases though out the year and all times of the day. Keeping your dog on a leash and well supervised is the best advise we can give to help try and prevent an encounter with this potentially deadly creature. Also they are attracted to your pets food and water bowels. Pick up uneaten food, along with picking up their feces on a regular basis, this is also an attraction. If you have an encounter immediately rinse out your pets mouth with water to remove any toxins. Do not flush water down the throat, rinse side to side. You do not want the toxins to go down the throat. We also see cases where the hose is used to rinse the mouth causing water to fill the lungs causing more issues. Proceed to the nearest clinic or emergency clinic. Time is of the essence. Signs that your pet has come in contact with a Bufo are… Irritation to the eyes and nose Extremely dark pink gums Foaming at the mouth Staggering, weakness or collapse Difficulty breathing Seizures Fever, diarrhea or vomiting Paralysis Death can follow in as little as 15 minutes if enough toxins are ingested and not treated. So please keep your guard up and lets keep our fur babies safe.